FSPCA DR. SHANNON LEWIS MEMORIAL AWARD
· Must be an animal welfare organization/business or person engaged in animal welfare initiatives such as rescue or rehabilitation
· Award winner should not have previously won the award
· Award winner must show extraordinary contributions to the animal welfare industry. They must be in business for more than 3 years and can be a charity, non-profit or an individual that goes above and beyond for the welfare of an animal
· Award winner must be in alignment with the FSPCA’s care and treatment policies as well as the Five Freedoms.
· To preserve the integrity of this award, the nominees and winner will be conducted by a jury consisting of Dr. Krista Foreman (Owner of Southpaw Animal Hospital), Laurie Trail (Manager at Southpaw Animal Hospital) who are her co-workers as well as the senior staff of the Fredericton SPCA who worked closely with Dr. Lewis.
Dr. Shannon Lewis:
From an early age Shannon’s love of animals was central to her life. It was inevitable that she would pursue this passion as her career. She graduated from the Atlantic Veterinary College in PEI in 2000 and began her beloved career.
Shannon was an extraordinary veterinarian and person. She had an amazing energy of calmness, peace and positivity and she had a brilliant mind. Her love of animals and her empathy for them shone through with every patient in her care. She had a gentle soul, a gentle touch and a huge capacity for caring. Shannon was an inspiration to many in her ability to look outside the box and always finding that one more thing to try. Learning acupuncture and providing that to her patients was one of Shannon’s favorite things to do but she was talented in every aspect of patient care. Shannon leaves an enormous hole in our SouthPaw family, her passing is a devastating loss for all who had the pleasure of knowing her. Shannon always found room in her heart and in her home for one more orphaned pet to add to her family.
Shannon always found time to help with the animals at the Fredericton SPCA. She would get down on the ground and talk in soft tones to calm them and sit with them to make them as comfortable as she could. They always responded to her and loved going to visit with her. She never gave up on looking for treatments for their ailments, be it regular protocols or alternative therapies such as acupuncture, she always gave them her best.
It is these qualities that we wanted to acknowledge, and in doing so we have decided to create the first ever Dr. Shannon Lewis Memorial Award and chose an organization that exemplifies the quality of work and dedication to animals that Dr. Shannon showed in her practice.
When we think of Dr. Shannon, her compassion and commitment to the animals she cared for – it is fitting that Lynn Walker, Lead Supervisor of the Fredericton SPCA is the recipient of this award for 2022. Lynn has worked with the Fredericton SPCA for the past 18 years. Devoted to the “fur babes” in our care, Lynn goes above and beyond each and every single day to ensure these animals, that have no voice of their own, feel loved, safe and secure. Her un-wavering dedication we witness daily treating each of them as if they were her own pets.
Congratulations, I think Dr. Shannon Lewis would be proud!